9 Ways to Bolster Your Resilience
Through Meaning and Purpose:
- Keep a personal journal. Write a personal mission statement
- Write out personal goals every month; future oriented planning helps
- Build your goal-attaining skills, seek help with it and on the skills or areas you need
- Act on your curiosity, your educational aspirations. Be persistent.
- Help others, engage in kindness activities
- Practice empathy and compassion
- Use acceptance and tolerance strategies.
Develop Optimism and Hope:
- Make a daily gratitude list
- Practice positive self-talk. Visualize what you want
- Expect positive results from your efforts, and from the world
- Recognize your areas of competence in work, learning, athletics and friendship
- Use your problem solving skills, get help, go to library and research it.
- Allow the role of rituals to bring you comfort
- Organize your home, one area, or one room at a time
- Have a schedule with family and loved ones.
Learn What Others Know:
- Read biographies and self help books
- Listen to C.D’s and DVD’s to hear how to live to create the life you want
- Talk to people who have what you want –ask them about themselves.
- #Seek out spiritual teachers, guides for growth.
- Embrace your extended family
- Reach out to larger community by having work and community ties
- Seek those who nurture a sense of meaning and identity
- Connect by having dinner together, seeing movies and traveling together.
Experience Civic Engagement:
- Engage with others (classmates, family and community): run, walk, build, aid
- Do empowering activities such as helping others. Volunteer.
Build Resilience with your Culture:
- Allow the role of ceremonies to bring you comfort
- Connect to your cultural community: picnic, dance, celebrate.
Create Meaning and Purpose in Life:
- Focus on what you believe you can control
- Find value and/or your inner purpose from your own difficulties
- Improve peer relationships, willingness to seek help and/or see a counselor
- Believe in yourself, be persistent
- Be a gift to others
- Know that you are loved!